Sunday, September 27, 2009

5 Short Years

AdventureDad and I celebrated our 5th anniversary on the 25th. Talk about 5 short years together! Yet we have been through so much... two deployments, our first child, purchasing (and selling) a house, moving overseas and back again, and now a second child on the way. Those are the kind of thing that either bring a couple together, or tear them apart, and I can honestly say that we are a much stronger couple for having been through them. I fall in love with AdventureDad even more with every challenge that we face, and he has done a wonderful job of showing me that the feeling is mutual. Here's to another 5 years, and 5 after that, and 5 after that, and 5...
So what did we do to celebrate this momentous day? Piled the whole family into the car, drove out to the coast, splurged on a bunch of fresh seafood that we then took to a picnic area and cooked over a charcoal grill, then went on a hike through the dunes to the ocean. Probably not the most romantic day we could have planned, but right up our alley, and one of the best days we've had in quite awhile. I'll post pics soon... honestly they're still in the camera.
Not much else has changed for the AdventureFamily. We have mostly settled into a pattern of adaptability with AdventureDad's ever-changing work schedule, he finished his massive recertification exam (now we wait 6-8 weeks), as well as getting his WA license, and I'm of course starting to really anticipate AdventureBaby's arrival... speaking of which there is now an induction date set for October 14th, so in 17 days or less we will have a new family member.
I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about having an infant in our lives again... it just seems so complicated when there is already a toddler. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep my sanity, and I hope my parenting skills are up to it... thank goodness for the help that I'm getting from family. I also have two wonderful role models to follow in Gutsy Mom and Vicki, not to mention Joss who makes the whole parenting thing look easy. They have proven that it IS possible! I just wish we were all close enough to share a latte and some venting with. Bless the internet, but e-venting just isn't the same. Sigh.
Now off to bed for me and my belly...

1 comment:

The Gutsy Mom said...

You and your belly are in my thoughts so much these days! I cannot believe that AdventureBaby will be here in two weeks. I think that was the fastest pregnancy I've ever witnessed. I felt the same thing you are feeling--how am I going to fit an infant into all this?--and, as you know, it just works itself out. It's a crazy adaption, but not as crazy as adapting to the first kid. There will be some blurry times (understatement of the year) but when you hold that sweet little baby in your arms it will all melt away. Somehow, for me, adjusting to #2 wasn't as tough as #1.

Can we schedule conference call latte sessions? I miss you so much!